- HomeBase is a drop-off program, 9am-3pm, 2days/week (for $250/month), or 4days/week ($500) at our Proprius House in the Shooks Run Neighborhood, just east of down town. While our calendar of classes and activities offered by our cooperative of Providers runs year-round, HomeBase runs during the traditional school year. But that's where it stops being "traditional".
- Our motivation and what inspires us is Self-Directed Learning. Students of mixed age/grades gather to work, play, explore, discuss, experiment, and learn together through a schedule, activities and method of study they design together, with guidance from an adviser. That adviser could be a mentor from the community or a parent of a participating student.
- One option for students is to follow units of study that have been identified ahead of time by our co-founder Aubrey Fennewald (15 years experience of teaching and school administration), and are tied to the seasons (i.e. gardening and planting concepts are tied to our Spring unit; harvesting, food preservation and prep study are tied to our Fall unit). It is then the STUDENTS who decide how they will go about learning identified concepts. Sometimes that may look like a group activity on site or a field trip all together somewhere; sometimes it could look like individual study. If students prefer to design their own learning plan or field of study, that is an option at Proprius as well. Advisers are available to guide students where needed.
- Our HomeBase program is not a school. No standardized tests here. Period. We are a nonprofit organization offering a viable education option for families in need of an alternative to traditional school for their learner, and we are support, supplemental, and resources for homeschooling families. We are also an option for families who would like to homeschool, but feel they cannot for whatever reason.
- We DO have methods of assessment and progress-tracking that are specifically designed for self-directed learners.... if you want to use them, that is. It's up to you. We are all self-directed here. We're all learning together!
If you are interested in Proprius as a student, or have a student in mind for us, please feel free to
call us anytime with questions and inquiries at: 719-445-6703. We are still enrolling for school year 2015/16!
You can register for classes and workshops through our cooperative at any time during the year. Be sure to check out our Calendar of events and services provided by the providers of our cooperative!